Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Craft Cube & Copics

These pictures show the craft cube that sits in the corner of my work area. I love this baby because it holds a lot of my tools that I use every day when I'm stamping or scrapping. Again this is what works best for me I am in no way stating that my way is the best and that I am miss organized (you should see some of my closets), its just that I know I like seeing how other people store their tools and supplies and I can usually see something I like or learn a new way of organizing my supplies. Anyway, I bought this cube at Target for $19.99 and what I like about it is that it not only holds a bunch of my stuff, but it doesn't take up a huge amount of space.



There are drawers on two sides, one side holds my acrylic blocks for stamping and some bling and on the other side I have some baubles/dew drops. The whole top compartment can be taken out and you could use it separately if you wanted. In the top compartment I store my prisma colored pencils & pop dots, Copic markers, Coluzzle mat and templates, Piercer with mat & guide, glues, scissors, extra adhesives, you name it!

I'm in love with the Copic markers as many of you are and have been slowly collecting them. As I get new colors I've been using this chart that I found on Sharon Harnist blog which I saved on my computer and printed out on the Whisper White card stock I use. This way I don't have to guess as to what the colored marker really looks like, I can also match it up with colored card stock or designer paper and I can see which colors I have and would still like to get. I've purchased most of my Copics with a coupon from either Mary Maxiums or Hobby Lobby, but I have ordered some on line from both Ecletic Paperie and Ellen Hutson's store. I know there are Copic marker clubs out there for people to join, were you get so many markers a month, but I had already started purchasing mine when I found this out, so I had to pass. If you have never tried using a Copic marker you should give it a try, the colors are so vibrant and blend without leaving sketchy lines, that and coloring goes so fast. The markers are a alcohol blend which means that you need to use a permanent ink to stamp your image in, I use Brilliance black ink that you can find at most craft stores and at first it wasn't working for me until my friend Deb told me to heat set the ink after stamping, now I have no smudging or smearing. I've been told you could also use Pallete ink as well and you'll get the same results. To see some great techniques and tips using Copic markers, visit any of the women on the Ellen Hutson design team and see how amazing their work is! You can find the link to these talented ladies in the left side bar of Ellen's blog Simple Dreams.


Edit: Deb had asked if Copic markers can be stored the way I have mine, vertically in my craft cube, or do they need to be horizontal. That's a good question, Copic markers can be stored either vertically or horizontally, click on the link for any further questions about Copic markers.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I am with you on the Copics! I love mine, the small quantity that I have:) I will build my supply slowly... but I want all of them now! I like your little storage unit. It looks like it holds a lot without taking a lot of space, a plus for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Deb Wood said...

This is awesome, I love it!! Is it okay to store your copics that way though or should they be flat??

JoAnna Goodman said...

I love this cube you got at Target! I have just been using Prismacolor pencil, but want to begin using Copics. Thanks for your tips!

Beth M said...

Thanks for the link to the chart!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I just loved that cube that I had to go out and buy one yesterday!! I so needed to go to bed but I wanted to get my stuff into the cube before doing so. Thanks for posting about it. Now my stuff is easier to get to. I had all scissors, punches, markers, glue sticks, watercolor pencils just laying around in a basket!!!!
Heidi
Tucson, AZ